Sarah visited The Bridal Collection and found a beautiful…
Wedding Photographer and Package for You
1. Personality. Personality. Personality. – Do you “click” with this person? Remember that this person will be with you all day on one of the most important intimate days of your life. It is so important that you feel comfortable with them. What do they stand for? What is important to them? What do they believe? This will often reflect in their photographs and personality. If you don’t like your wedding photographer, I can almost promise you you won’t like the end product no matter what. Ask them who they are (not in the photography sense but who they are as a person) and why they love weddings. Go with your gut, it’s usually right. There are a lot of talented people out there, go with the one that most fits your personality and what is important to you.
2. Photographic Style – Going back to number 1 (Personality), most likely their personality will show through their photographs. I am a die hard romantic. For example, you will notice my style is very natural and a softer, romantic feel. For me, it is all about the couple, their love, and what their adventure together. A Bride (for me) is not complete without her groom. Other photographers might be a little more dramatic, add more saturated colors, retro filters. Ask them what about their personality reflects in their photographs, and what they would say is their photographic style.
3. Do an engagement session – Often times couples skip out on an engagement session because they feel like they don’t “need to do them”. I strongly encourage you to ask your photographer if they either offer an engagement session or if it is included in their package. I highly recommend an engagement session (I believe in them so much that I include in complementary in all my packages). It gives you a chance to practice being photographed, it gives your photographer time to play with your best angles and see how you interact with each other, and it give you a chance to see you in their work. When you get to your wedding day it makes things so much easier on everyone. You know your photos are going to rock and the photographer knows you a little better. It’s win – win for everyone.
4. Choose a specialist – You wouldn’t hire your general practice doctor to do your knee surgery, so don’t pick a newborn photographer to photograph your wedding. Weddings are a different animal when it comes to lighting, posing, receptions, flash, people. Hire someone who relies on weddings as 80% or more of their income. They are are used to the ups and downs and craziness that happens, they are used to timelines, and will know the best ways to get the photos you are wanting. A Specialist may charge a little more but they will be worth it (see below).
5. Don’t skimp – The average wedding in America is $25,000 – How much did you spend on your wedding dress, your cake, your food, your DJ, your flowers, your venue? You should allow for photography to be about 10-20% of your budget (sometimes more). Remember that your photos will last a lifetime and beyond and all those beautiful details and moments won’t look like much with a below average photographer. There is also no substitution for experience. An experienced professional wedding photographer will most likely cost a little more, but knows what it takes to run an efficient business and still make a profit as well as give you an amazing experience and photographs that will last a lifetime.
6. Buy an album in your package – Digital Images are all the rage. Every one of my packages includes digital images, however don’t underestimate the importance of a printed album. Our technology is changing so fast that we never know what will be the digital medium in 30 years. Remember that 8 track tapes were the wave of the future at one point and now you can only find players for them at antique stores. Photos that are printed on archival photo paper are meant to last hundreds of years. In the very least print out your photos or ask your photographer for a proof set. You may think you will put yours own together or you will order it later. Life happens, you get busy and you never get around to it. It’s okay I get it. Do yourself a big favor and get your album up front.
· I am the romantic photographer for carefree, adventurous couples planning their outdoor wedding.
· I was born for the theatre, and the magic of getting lost in someone else’s story.
· I could live on Jelly Bellys, Gummy Bears … and perfectly salted margaritas.
· I always buy two things whenever I go present shopping for my hubby, one for him and one for me.
· I thrive on afternoon naps (preferably outside in a hammock). And, I love rain… period.
· I’ve been known to ditch work and disappear into mountains for entire afternoons – just me, the fish and memories of Grandpa.
· I believe that all true beauty lives in imperfection.
· I believe being wrapped in one of mom’s hand-crafted blankets, sipping from a hot cup of cocoa, and being hypnotized by a fire that is too-large is heaven on earth.
· I love Dexter. And, Breaking Bad. (There, I said it.)
· I believe in play-dates with my husband and getting lost in our silliness, together.
· I believe love is best as an adventure, because surprises should always be shared.
· I believe in falling in love, over and over. Every. Single. Day.